Saturday 7 April 2018

Transactional Analysis Theory - What Makes Script Possible; Can I do something about it?

This blog comes from Ajit Karve, BSc, BTA, a Transformational TA Coach
+919822024037; ajitpkarve@gmail.com
See the other blogs here : Table of Contents

What makes Script Possible

This is Berne’s most significant contribution. He puts forth five imperatives that make script possible  in his book 'What Do You Say After You Say Hello'. They are:

     1. Parental directives;
     2. A suitable personality development;
     3. A childhood decision;
     4. A real turn-on to a particular method of success or failure; and
     5. A convincing attitude (or a credible stance);

The popular understanding of script makes becoming its victim an inevitable conclusion. What Berne says has been quoted by Claude Steiner. He says that at best a person can reduce its inevitability by reducing the intensity or changing the type of game one plays. Why one may ask? For, again Berne says that Games are segments of Script played out in short term. Therefore by consciously changing one's involvement in terms of periodicity of participation, intensity of participation, stuckness, holding on to the payoff and urge to play one can to some extent change the destiny that Script offers.

Can I do something about it

Parental Directives have been covered in the topic of Script Matrix in 03.09. To visit click here > 03.09 Script Matrix One can systematically deal with Injunction, Program and Counter-injunction. Berne says that every person has the capacity and capability to disregard the directives by using permissions. My own contention is that following the directive is a permission against our favour. All we need to do is to address our mind thus: O! my mind. I grant you the capacity to effect permission for being close, being successful, being important (which ever applicable). It works wonders.

Script was installed and remains operational because of a suitable personality development. What this means is that if the personality is changed, script has no place to be operative. Personality can be changed by installing positive aspects of personality constituents. These are a Free Child, a Permissive Parent and an Empowered Adult. How to achieve this is covered in  09.11. To read click here > 09.11 Self Therapy -1

Childhood decisions can be changed by becoming aware of them. A script healing process has been provided in 09.16 'A comprehensive self-help treatment plan' - Item 9. To read click here > 09.16 Self Therapy 6.

The real turn on to a particular method of success or failure is addressed by gaining awareness in the moment. How to gain awareness in the moment is provided in 09.16. To read click here > 09.16 Self Therapy 6.

The convincing attitude is manifest about what I think about myself, what I think about others around me and those that I live and work with, what I think should be my approach in life, how to face life challenges etc. etc. Once I know and accept that I am the cause of all my miseries I can work out a safe plan spanning over over 3 to 7 years to achieve script healing.



No comments:

Post a Comment